We arrived back from Peru Friday evening and caught a taxi from the airport. I didn't want to just get into any taxi, so I went to the counter at the airport to order one. Melissa told us to only pay 13 pesos or no more than 15. They wanted to charge us 18, but I said no, 15. The other guys on the next counter laughed and I said in my best Spanish - no more than 15 pesos, he said 16 and I said no. He accepted 15. We paid the 15 pesos then was told to meet the taxi out the salider (exit) door. As we walked out all these other drivers were there wanting our business, but a guy came up to us with a sign with the name of the taxi we had booked. Soon we were ushered into this nice luxury taxi and off we went with nice relaxing music AND seat belts. It seemed so nice to be back in Santiago after the unbelieveable time we had in Cusco. Soon we were at Melissa's apartment and after a quick meal it was time for bed. By this time my stomach was starting to feel very odd.
The next morning we headed up into the mountains to the snow, hiring a taboggan along the way plus we had one that Melissa had borrowed from her friend Sue. There were 40 cervs (bends) to go around. Even though I had a funny stomach I had taken some tablets and was doing ok. We stopped at Valle Nevardo ski resort to have some morning tea then went down the mountain a little way to a nice spot where we could park the car and taboggan on the snow. That was great fun. Even though we had walked on snow for only a few minutes on our New Zealand trip, we had not actually done any fun stuff.
Harley had a ball, he loves the snow and enjoyed having rides with us on the taboggan. At one stage Melissa sat on a taboggan to feed Arden so she didn't have to sit on the wet snow.
Soon it was time to head back down again. Jason took us for a bit of a siteseeing tour through some other ski resorts that were now closed as it was the off season, then we headed home.
That evening we went out for dinner to a restaurnat called the Zanibar, with Sue and her husband Mike, and Sue's parents Anne & Eddie. Anne & Eddie were going join us on a trip to a town called Valparaíso on the coast the next day. My stomach was still feeling yukky and even though my meal was very nice, it was spicy so I only ate a portion of it.
The next morning we had to get up quite early as Anne & Eddie were going to meet us at the apartment then Melissa was to drop us off at the train station where her Spanish teacher Jose was meeting us. We did a short train ride, then caught the bus for nearly 2 hours out to Via Del Mao. As soon as
we arrived Jose took us to find a horse and carriage that took us for a ride around the town and to the floral clock. Then it was another short train ride to Valpariseo. It was lunch time by now, so Jose took us to this nice restaurant on the wharf and we watched the antics of the Chileans fighting (not nastily) for a spot close to the wharf, to take you for a ride. It was so funny to watch. There was a sunken boat in the harbour and eventually someone towed it away, not far though, then dumped it.
I had grilled chicken (pollo - po-yo) with some chips, but the chicken was not cooked right through and my stomach just churned over looking at it. Oh dear, I really just need to order vegetarian meals I think. Bob and I both ordered a Pi
sco Sour drink, but the alcohol contend was so strong it nearly knocked our head off. I asked for mine to be weakened, but it was still far too strong to continue drinking, especially in the middle of the day. What a shame :(
After lunch we walked to the fenicular that took us up the top of a hill that overlooked the harbour. There are apparently 13 feniculars in Valparaíso but we only went on this one. We caught a bus to somewhere with Jose, our guide and as we had no idea where we were meant to be going, we didn't question him. Melissa & Helen both raved about Valparaíso so we're not sure what else we should have seen. Supposedly it is very hilly and some great views, we saw none of this. Oh well, put it down to experience.
It was late evening when we got back to Santiago and I was ready for a good nights sleep and a rest day on Monday. The only thing we ended up doing was going for a drive through a funky suburb called Bella Vista and I took some photos of the buildings and some graffiti. Isn't it funny how graffiti can become a tourist attraction. Some of it was very cleverly done.
The next morning we headed up into the mountains to the snow, hiring a taboggan along the way plus we had one that Melissa had borrowed from her friend Sue. There were 40 cervs (bends) to go around. Even though I had a funny stomach I had taken some tablets and was doing ok. We stopped at Valle Nevardo ski resort to have some morning tea then went down the mountain a little way to a nice spot where we could park the car and taboggan on the snow. That was great fun. Even though we had walked on snow for only a few minutes on our New Zealand trip, we had not actually done any fun stuff.Harley had a ball, he loves the snow and enjoyed having rides with us on the taboggan. At one stage Melissa sat on a taboggan to feed Arden so she didn't have to sit on the wet snow.
Soon it was time to head back down again. Jason took us for a bit of a siteseeing tour through some other ski resorts that were now closed as it was the off season, then we headed home.
That evening we went out for dinner to a restaurnat called the Zanibar, with Sue and her husband Mike, and Sue's parents Anne & Eddie. Anne & Eddie were going join us on a trip to a town called Valparaíso on the coast the next day. My stomach was still feeling yukky and even though my meal was very nice, it was spicy so I only ate a portion of it.
The next morning we had to get up quite early as Anne & Eddie were going to meet us at the apartment then Melissa was to drop us off at the train station where her Spanish teacher Jose was meeting us. We did a short train ride, then caught the bus for nearly 2 hours out to Via Del Mao. As soon as
we arrived Jose took us to find a horse and carriage that took us for a ride around the town and to the floral clock. Then it was another short train ride to Valpariseo. It was lunch time by now, so Jose took us to this nice restaurant on the wharf and we watched the antics of the Chileans fighting (not nastily) for a spot close to the wharf, to take you for a ride. It was so funny to watch. There was a sunken boat in the harbour and eventually someone towed it away, not far though, then dumped it.I had grilled chicken (pollo - po-yo) with some chips, but the chicken was not cooked right through and my stomach just churned over looking at it. Oh dear, I really just need to order vegetarian meals I think. Bob and I both ordered a Pi
sco Sour drink, but the alcohol contend was so strong it nearly knocked our head off. I asked for mine to be weakened, but it was still far too strong to continue drinking, especially in the middle of the day. What a shame :(After lunch we walked to the fenicular that took us up the top of a hill that overlooked the harbour. There are apparently 13 feniculars in Valparaíso but we only went on this one. We caught a bus to somewhere with Jose, our guide and as we had no idea where we were meant to be going, we didn't question him. Melissa & Helen both raved about Valparaíso so we're not sure what else we should have seen. Supposedly it is very hilly and some great views, we saw none of this. Oh well, put it down to experience.
It was late evening when we got back to Santiago and I was ready for a good nights sleep and a rest day on Monday. The only thing we ended up doing was going for a drive through a funky suburb called Bella Vista and I took some photos of the buildings and some graffiti. Isn't it funny how graffiti can become a tourist attraction. Some of it was very cleverly done.
No comments:
Post a Comment